Blog Topic for this Friday: Learner Admission

Posted on Tuesday, 23 May 2017

By Communications

Category: Latest News

The admission period has started and is underway; Parents and teachers are urged to familiarize themselves with the processes to follow so as to not miss out on the deadlines in order to make the placement process easier and on time.

Admission To Public Schools

In terms of Section 5 of the South African Schools Act (SASA), a public school must admit learners and serve their educational requirements without unfairly discriminating in any way.

Admission of learners

The Head of Department (HOD) is responsible to admit learners to all public schools. The HOD may delegate the responsibility to admit learners to a departmental official.

Unfair Discrimination

No learner may be refused admission to a public school on the grounds that his or her parent is unable to pay fees.

Testing Of Learners

Any test relating to the admission of a learner to a public school may not be administered.

Admission Age Of Learners

SASA Section 5(4)(a) determines the admission age of a learner to a public school as

(i) Grade R is age four years turning five years by 30 June in the year of admission,
(ii) Grade 1 is age five years turning six years by 30 June in the year of admission.

Admission Documents Required:

• Application form for admission
  • Compulsory documents for admission
  • Certified copy of the Identity document or a certified copy of the birth certificate of the prospective learner
  • Proof of Immunisation
  • School Report
  • School transfer letter

Parental Responsibility

A parent must ensure that a child is admitted and attends school from the first school day of the year until the last school day of the academic year.

What to do if you are told a public school is full:

• Ask the principal if the school had been officially declared full by the Education Department.
  • Ask to see the letter which says the school is full.
  • If there is no letter then the school must accept the child.
  • If the school refuses permission then contact the district office.
  • If the school does have a letter then the department must find a place for the child in the nearest school to where he or she lives.

Join discussion with Superintendent General between 14:00 - 15:00 on Friday, 26 May 2017 on the challenges of LEARNER ADMISSION at Public Schools in the Province of the Eastern Cape.  You are invited to make comments on the above-mentioned Topic (Challenges of Learner Admission).  He will be available on the following forums:

1. SG's Corner Blog:  https://blog.ecdoe.co.za
  2. ECDoE Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ecdoe
  3. ECDoE Twitter Account:  https://twitter.com/ECDOEZA
newsroom news stories avatar

Mcethe Jadezweni commented on 24 May, 2017 10:45

It would be very enlightening to know what the Admission Policy has to say about FET schools that deny re-admission to their very own failed Grade 12 learners.Is there no right to repeat learning where the parent or learner chooses to?

newsroom news stories avatar

Cheera-Dee Robinson commented on 26 May, 2017 11:10

Mcethe Jadezweni in response to your question we would like to inform you that, schools give preference to first time Grade 12 learners, and if there is space there after they may accept repeats, however schools are not obliged to take repeats. However in saying this, Districts do offer classes on a Saturday, where repeats may improve their results to obtain a Matric Certificate. For further information please contact your nearest Education District Office. (This information is as per Mrs Pula Mtila from IDS&G)

newsroom news stories avatar

GRETTA BONGO commented on 27 May, 2017 07:41

I want to know if a grade 12 learner passed NSC with Diploma and N3 can she combine the N3 statement to improve in order to enter a degree course?

newsroom news stories avatar

Mariadut commented on 02 Jun, 2017 09:30

newsroom news stories avatar

Andiswa Maliwa commented on 05 Jun, 2017 09:48

Hello! I have been appointed since September 2016 as a permanent educator but till today I have not received any payment. Please SG attend to my issue because it has also affected me and my health ,everytime I call the head office I am being told one thing that is Kusalindwe ilist emonti! but how must I survive without getting paid while am the breadwinner? My ID number is 8809091688081

newsroom news stories avatar

Athenkosi Chris Ngcingi commented on 08 Jun, 2017 07:03

Hello. I have complete my N6 in Human resources last year November, so now in order for me to get my diploma i need to finish 18 months inservice training to get my qualification. So I want to know if the department offers the training how do you apply I've been looking till now. Please help me out. I'd like you to reply on my email! Thanks.

newsroom news stories avatar

Vuyiswa Boti commented on 15 Jun, 2017 01:16

Thank you for the information regarding the way forward when I am being told the school is full, I applied for my little girl for 2018/19 as early as when she was 6 months, she is 3 now and have already been rejected, reason being the school is full. I am not sure how to challenge that response

newsroom news stories avatar

matthews tywabi commented on 20 Jun, 2017 08:41

i wonder what is going on in this department,no transfers for running school affairs,no payments for substitutes,no structures for upgrading schools.Nothing interesting anymore,maybe we are heading below the bottom place this year.

Please enter your comment below and click on the Submit button.

Please complete all required fields